How Do I Know If I Have a Mold Problem?

Moldy wall

Mold can be a homeowners biggest fear and an even worse enemy. Not only is mold dangerous to our health but it’s sneaky and can go undetected for long periods of time; giving it plenty of opportunities to grow and multiply. Mold spores become airborne and can contaminate the air you breathe and even the clothing you wear. It viciously attacks the surfaces and structure of your home. Unfortunately, the hard truth is that many people live in a home with mold issues yet never realize it. They’re either unaware of or ignore potential warning signs and often ask, “do I have a mold problem?” after it’s too late. Knowing the various warning signs of mold is the best tactic when looking to protect the wellbeing of your household and its family members. Finding mold before it becomes a major issue will make remediation much less stressful and much less expensive! Here are some possible warning signs that mold may exist in your home:

  • A Funky Odor

    Often, your sniffer can get used to regular smells in and around your home because you spend so much time there. Interestingly, when you leave and come back it’s often easier to notice when something is “off”. Odors become more noticeable when the air in the home is not being circulated by activity and/or stronger smells. The longer you are away, the more obvious those moldy odors can become. Mold could easily be lurking behind your walls and since you don’t see the problem you may be unable to tell where the smell is coming from. Mold tends to smell musty and damp, so if you smell something similar, don’t allow it to go unaddressed. Do some investigating long before you break out your fragrant candles or room spray.

  • You Can See It

    When mold makes an appearance, you’d think it would be obvious that there is a problem. However, many people may not immediately assume mold is actually mold. Many assume it’s simply dirt. A shower stall or bathtub may make it a little easier to see, especially when it’s on a light-colored surface but there are places it is definitely not as simple to detect. For example, when it’s in the basement, usually a darker space, it may require a bit more investigating. If you are able to identify mold, remember that what you see is not necessarily what you get. That small patch of mold might just be the tip of the iceberg. Generally, if you can actually see the mold, it’s likely been there for a while and you’ll want to do some pretty thorough investigation at that point. Better yet, call in the professionals who have the tools and the experience to determine the extent of the issue, quickly and efficiently. The moment you notice mold, it needs to be fully remediated as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

  • Signs of Moisture

    If you’ve ever sustained a water problem in your home, then it’s a high possibility that you’ve got some kind of mold growth. Some of the more common water problems include leaks, past flooding, or even simple condensation. If you detect any type of water damage like water stains, discoloration on walls, floors, or ceilings; then you may have already started your war with mold but just didn’t know it yet. If your home endured flooding of some kind, the damaged areas are highly susceptible. Condensation is a little trickier. When you notice indoor humidity or moist air, you may have the perfect environment for mold growth. The most common location for condensation induced mold is in poorly sealed window sills. Aside from that, condensation is rarely, if ever, good for any home because it can cause indoor pipes to rust and also attracts bugs – bugs THRIVE in humid conditions. If you have moisture, you definitely want to keep an eye out for mold.

  • Health Issues

    Mold can affect our health. For example, many people have mild to severe allergies to mold spores causing sneezing, itchy, sore eyes and a runny nose or congestion. If your symptoms are worse when you’re in the house versus when you’re outside, mold may be the culprit. Mold can also cause neurological problems. If you suffer from frequent headaches, trouble concentrating, short attention span, memory loss, and dizziness, it could be a sign that toxic mold is in your midst. Mold can be dangerous to your home and your health. If you notice some of the symptoms above, ask yourself the question: When do these symptoms flare up? Do I feel better after I leave home?

Mold can be a terrible problem and incredibly invasive, so if you suspect any mold in your home, be sure to investigate and take action. Don’t give mold the chance to grow by ignoring the signs. AWR Restoration & Cleaning is willing to help stand with you in your fight against mold. Our skilled professionals know how to thoroughly remediate your home from any and all types of mold.

Related Posts
  • What to Do About Stubborn Bathroom Mold Read More
  • Signs You Have Mold in Your Home Read More
  • What Is Structural Drying | AWR Restoration Read More

Contact Us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please enter your address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.